Monday, November 7, 2011

Royal Icing Transfers!

Ok, so Saturday night I made my first royal icing transfers.  There were a few small bumps along the way, which is to be expected.

Printed papers covered in wax paper. Hershey candies, delicious paper weights!
Close up of the piping of the leaves.
I created a template so I could easily trace the leaves, keeping them uniform and even.  I placed the printed papers on a cookie sheet and covered them in wax paper.  You can see that I used Hershey candies as weights so that the wax paper wouldn't move once I started piping.

A picture of me piping!
Finished sheet of leaves!

Close up pic of leaves piped.
I piped some small circles, as well,  just to see how they would come out.  I have to say if you have the time and left over icing, pipe a bunch of extra simple shapes.  You will always find a use for them.

I let the tray dry over night, so that they would thoroughly harden.  The next morning, first thing, I went over to the tray and started pealing them off.
Pealing leaves off wax paper.
The transfers came off quite easily, the only problem was that I didn't pipe the stems thick enough, so many of them broke.  It might not matter since they will be used as a topper for cupcakes, but my concern is having them look like orange lumps.  I figured if they look weird on the cupcakes I could just add some extra piping to make a stem.  Most of them did come out perfectly.
Some of the finished leaves.
This is definitely a technique that will come in hand for all sorts of baked goods.  The key is to plan ahead! They will last in air tight containers forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment