Monday, July 9, 2012

Bridal Stilettos!

So, this cookie experience was probably one of the more frustrating ones I have encountered so far.   I don't know if it was because I was rushing to get it done, or if it was just an off baking experience, which happens every once in a while.  It all started with the dough making process.  I used the same recipe as usual and it seemed to come out better than ever.  The problem was in the cutting of the cookies.  I chilled the dough, rolled it out and then started cutting out shapes.  oh, I should tell you I was making stiletto shoe cookies.  For some reason since the dough was so sticky I was having trouble getting the cookies off the paper without messing up the shape.  I decided the dough should chill a bit longer to make it easier.  Once the dough was chilled it helped a lot, but I had to keep taking the dough in and out of the fridge.  Once I cut out the shapes, I usually chill the cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking, but I didn't have that much time so I did it for less.  Well when I went to bake the cookies they weren't holding their shape.  =(  After I had baked all of them, not happy with the shape of them, I realized I forgot to actual turn the oven on to bake. 

 Well, the next morning I got up early and baked a whole new batch.  I was so sure that the shape would hold and the cookies would just look better overall.  Well I was wrong, I was still struggling with the shape.  Finally I was done and I had a ton of cookies.  I only need 30, but I had about 80. =D

This was the first batch!



I made the icing, mixed my colors, filled the bags and started decorating.  I honestly decided to keep it as simple as possible, since I didn't have too much time to fuss over them.  I basically had one day to decorate.  As I have said before, you can't really rush cookies.  You just really need time and patience to make it work.  This was definitely a Tim Gunn "make it work" moment!  My icing was a bit too think, so I struggled with smoothing out the icing.  I also had issues with the cookies breaking, due to the fact that they were too soft.  I think under baking them make them taste better, but they are harder to decorate.  Due to my icing issues, I decided to cover them in sanding sugar, which is the perfect fix for any imperfection! 

You can see all of the craters on the brown cookie.
I used a stencil to decorate the leopard print and zebra print cookie.  The rest I covered in sanding sugar.  Here are some shots of the cookies!


Pile of cookies, some broken.  A bit of a mess!
 I also made 2 wedding dress cookies for the bride.  I wanted to make these a little more intricate, but again there just wasn't enough time.


The final stop on my long cookie adventure was making some titty cookies!  I know it sounds crude, but my friend always refers to them as that, and I think it is hilarious.  I gave a pair to the bride, as like a gift of lingerie.  The one I gave her was black and white, but I forgot to take a picture, so here are the other ones I made.

I am thinking of making another set of cookies soon, using an edible printing sheet technique.  I am not sure if it will happen, but if I have the time it will be done!

Here is the final shot of the cookies at the bridal shower, underneath the beautiful cake!


2 comments:

  1. What can't be conveyed in these photos is how delicious your cookies taste! It must be all the love, or desire for perfection, or both! But that is really what sets yours apart from the other "beautiful" cookies I've tasted, yours are the yummiest by far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leslie! That is really so sweet of you!

      xoxox

      Delete