Wednesday, June 5, 2013

The Dark Side of Cookies.

I am starting a new job on Wednesday, June 5th and I wanted to bring some first day cookies to my boss.  I know he is a Star Wars fan, so I thought these would be perfect.

I borrowed the cookie cutters from my sister in law, whose son happens to love Star Wars as well.  I decided to just make some Darth Vader and Storm Trooper cookies.  I wasn't sure how I was going to manage the Vader cookies.  Black icing is a bit tough.



 I attempted to cover the Darth Vader cookies with black royal icing, but getting the details of the face was turning out to be very tricky.  So, I thought the best solution would be to roll out some fondant!

I dyed some fondant black, rolled it out and cut away.

Cut out of black fondant.
Once you cut out the fondant, you brush the back with water and press it onto the cookie.  Be careful to only really press the edges, so you don't mess up the details on the face.

I decided to do the same technique for the Storm Trooper cookies.

Fondant rolled and cookie cutter pressed in.

Cookie cutter lifted away.
Water brushed on back of fondant cut out.

Cookie placed on top of fondant.

Flip over cookie!

Pressed the edged on so that you are sure the fondant is secure.
After I got all the fondant on all the cookies, I had to add the details of the Storm Troopers.  I used my black royal icing, and VERY carefully started filling in the features.


Completed cookie!



These cookies are a bit time consuming and now that I have done them once, I can see some short cuts I can take next time.






May the Force Be With You!

No comments:

Post a Comment